Tuesday, May 20, 2014

New Cannes Portrait & Interview with Le Parisien

Better translation added!

New Portrait



Interview
Post-apocalyptic western, The Rover, thats screened out of competition, takes place in the Australian outback. But the film caused a sensation at Cannes, thanks to its Hollywoodian cast: Guy Pearce (LA Confidential) and Robert Pattinson, star of Twilight, play lawless men, struggling to survive.

Yesterday, we met Kristen Stewart's ex boyfriend, who's 28, and also at Cannes for Maps to the Stars, by the Canadian David Cronenberg.

We didn't expect you in The Rover (out on June 4), this violent road trip by the Australian director David Michôd...
ROBERT PATTINSON: Me neither... I've been very lucky since I finished the Twilight Saga. You can't imagine the number of interesting scripts I get, like The Rover. I loved Animal Kingdom, the last film by David Michôd. So when I was offered the character of Rey, this young American man severely wounded by soldiers left in the desert, who ends up faced with a bitter and withdrawn Australian farmer played by Guy Pearce, I rushed into the adventure . It's a merciless face-to-face!

Was it difficult filming in the Australian outback?
Quite the opposite, it was terrific ! We spent seven weeks in the most beautiful and wild areas, that where completely remote from civilization. It was a nine-hour drive from Adelaide. Just us, With no cellphones, no tv etc... And with no paparazzi! It was like another life, in the depths of the desert. This inhuman atmosphere is felt throughout the whole movie, this feeling of end of the world like in Mad Max.

You are also at Cannes with "Maps to the Stars"...
I think I would do all of Cronenberg's films if he asked me. Two years after Cosmopolis where my character lived permanently in his big limousine, it amused me that he gave me the role of a driver of the stars in Hollywood. It's a secondary role, but oh so significant, alongside the great Julianne Moore.

For an actor of your calibre, what does Hollywood mean to you?
A sort of bonfire of vanities. A fierce place, full of money , where ego and jealousy are terribly intensified. Where everyone wants to be famous at any cost. It's very, very hard to live there. Especially, if you do not have a serious professional environment and real friends to keep you from all temptations. Me, I 'm doing fine. I managed to live my life and fame. Probably, because I know its dangers and pitfalls ...

Twilight is well and truly over...
Ah yes! It is well and truly over! I'm too old now to play vampires! There are so many directors with whom I really want to work with.

Which ones?
Brady Corbet, a young director who will direct me in The Childhood of a Leader, Harmony Korine (Spring Breakers) soon. And the French director, Olivier Assayas for a gangster movie that I'll shoot at the end of the year in the United States. I also hope to work one day with Quentin Tarantino...

(Gangster movie? Looks like it really is "Hubris", Assayas next project announced last year - read more here
ETA: He says in this interview that it will be called "Idol's Eye")

Source

No comments: