Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Great New interview - Rob talks about working with Christoph Waltz, Water For Elephants and more

Robert Pattinson: “Sometimes my reaction is panic”



There isn’t a single actor of the current time so idolized as he: “Twilight”-Vampire Robert Pattinson. On Thursday the new film starts, right ahead of its release he speaks about fame, elephants, and the “first time”.

Rob, you could be crowned the most famous actor in the world right now. How do you deal with this strangeness?
There are good and bad days. I often wish I wouldn’t react in such panic. But I believe I can separate jobs from private life very well. So far my ego still hasn’t been injured!

Currently, it is surely not simple to be Robert Pattinson. Can you believe what all has happened in the past two years?
Honestly, I have always said that it’s a subjective glimpse of the whole. For me everything feels the same as before, but there are a few aspects of my life that are completely different. I would just like to not admit that it has taken over my entire life. For myself, in my head, it’s the same as it was in the old days; I also have the exact same friends.

You are 24 and, as it is, can’t be anywhere without bodyguards at the door. Doesn’t it stink to you that you can’t lead a normal life?
Sometimes. But then I remember how my normal life was: boring.

Where do you live now, in London or in L.A.? Do you perhaps have a home?
No, I don’t. My “apartment” consists of three suitcases, out of which I live. Inside of them is everything that I need.

Isn’t that a very lonely life?
I work constantly, so I am always surrounded by people who ask me questions or give me instructions. That’s why I enjoy it if I can do something for myself. I don’t have any problems with having a two-month long period with no one to speak to.

How do you sympathize with Edward in respect to women? Is he the knight in shining armor about whom we apparently all still dream?
I hear often that this story is too old-fashioned and encourages women to take on subservient roles. I don’t think that at all! Even when Bella sometimes has moments of helplessness, she is still only a fictional character. What are we coming to, if every fictional film character is automatically a role model for our society!

“Twilight” represents very old-fashioned values. Bella and Edward first go to bed with each other after their marriage. Are you also against sex before marriage?
I believe rather, that everyone has sex before marriage (laughs)—then and now. I also don’t believe that girls ‘must respect themselves’ or that boys only want ‘the one’. If you behave like a gentleman, because chastity really suits you—okay. But if you take it for the newest fad in the dating world, then it’s rather off the mark.

You said once, you find that the saga, without sex, is sexy…
Yeah, I think so. Every one of us knows the time, before something happens between a couple, when you’re still totally insecure: Does the other person like me or not? That is definitely the riskiest time! This moment can last an eternity. To this sweet uncertainty also comes anxiety, especially if it’s the first time for both people. I believe this worry stirs up desire. And in this case, the period of desire lasts almost four books.

You are currently shooting “Water for Elephants” with the Austrian Christoph Waltz. How are you getting along with him?
Christoph is stunning, an insanely nice guy. He is not only a ridiculously good actor, he is also really funny, helpful, and a good colleague. I like his work ethic. I mean, the guy has won an Oscar—and despite that he is receptive, open-minded, and not the least bit snooty. And Reese Witherspoon is the same. It may be the nicest cast that I have worked with yet—a really great experience.

You seem to only work. What would the perfect day look like for you?
Recently I stood in the desert, far outside of L. A., and watched the sun set on a circus tent from 1930. Everywhere stood animals: elephants, tigers that should be loaded into a steam train. 300 extras in costumes raced around, the modern world had disappeared totally. Although that was totally fake, it still happened directly before my eyes! That was my perfect day. I would be gladly experience that every day. It happens continually to me: It calls itself work. That is wonderful and more than enough.

Source | Translation: Pattinsonline

3 comments:

papagáj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
papagáj said...

Great IW i love his point of view .

Unknown said...

I'd like to think I caught a glimpse of the real Robert Pattinson in this interview. That he is intelligent, has a great love of his work, that real happiness is spelled out in simple terms. That he is one fine human being. I like him not because of Twilight though we all discovered him that way - he is now way beyond, beyond Twilight. Water for Elephants will elevate him to a higher status where he rightfully belongs.