Tuesday, March 2, 2010

New 'Remember Me' Press Junket Interview - Association Press


NEW YORK—With his tousled, seemingly unwashed locks, and rumpled, just-rolled-out-of-bed undershirt and jeans, Robert Pattinson seems laid-back and carefree.
But the 23-year-old heartthrob, who attracts throngs of screaming fans wherever he goes, has a lot on his mind these days—not the least of which is what will happen when the "Robsession" ends.

"If it suddenly dies down and suddenly no one is interested ... yeah, it is worrying," he says. "It's scary to think that it all might just fundamentally stop after the 'Twilight' thing's finished."

That "Twilight thing" is the more than $1 billion movie franchise based on Stephenie Meyer's best-selling series. Pattinson stars as Edward Cullen, the vegetarian vampire who falls in love with human Bella Swan.

Despite the success of the first two films, "Twilight" and "New Moon," Pattinson hopes to break away from the emo, teenage undead role with his latest project, "Remember Me." The drama stars Pattinson and Emilie de Ravin as twenty-somethings falling in love while coping with family tragedy. Pierce Brosnan and Chris Cooper co-star.

Pattinson, also an executive producer on the film, recently talked to The Associated Press about nude scenes, being idolized and what he fears most in life.

AP: Did you feel a lot of pressure choosing "Remember Me," since it's the first time we're seeing you post-"Twilight"?

Pattinson: I just always liked the script. When I was making it, I didn't even think about it. Now that it's being released, it comes into context with all of that.

AP: I know your two sisters are older, but were you able to draw on any real-life experience for your role as a protective brother?

Pattinson: I've never really had the opportunity to do that, really. I remember when I was like 6 years old and one of my sisters was being bullied by someone and I came down with my foam baseball bat. That's the only example of brotherly protectiveness I had.

AP: What exactly are these modesty patches you used during the sex scenes?

Pattinson: Mine was made out of half a bra and some wig tape, which took me 35 minutes to actually figure out how to stick on and then it just fell off immediately. ... You're so obsessed whenever you have to do any nudity stuff. You're like, "Yeah, I definitely need this thing on." ... And then you get there and as soon as you're standing naked in front of everyone you don't care anyway. It's actually quite liberating."

AP: So if nudity doesn't make you blush, what does embarrass you?

Pattinson: Dancing. I used to dance all the time till I was 16 and I was at a wedding in Seattle. I didn't realize at the time that Canadian beer is like really strong, like 7.8 percent or something. And I was just going nuts on the dance floor and my dad was like, "What are you doing?" ... I've never been able to get that out of my head. I'm so self-conscious about it.

AP: When are you most at ease?

Pattinson: Arguing with people.

AP: What can't you live without?

Pattinson: Very little. I'm not one for ... comforts and stuff. I think I can kind of do without most things.

AP: So when you travel, there's nothing you can't leave home without?

Pattinson: No, I don't bring anything. I came here for like four days and ended up bringing this massive suitcase and ... I've been wearing the same clothes for like three days now.

AP: So you're not into shopping, yet you're ranked one of the top earners in Hollywood. That money must go somewhere?

Pattinson: I bought a really nice guitar recently, which is the only thing I've ever really spent a lot of money on. But that's the only thing. I had my apartment in London before when I was unemployed—this tiny little place and I liked it more. You had to walk through a restaurant kitchen and up this staircase filled with trash and there's no heating. I like that. But now it's quite difficult. I can't live in places like that anymore. The people outside, that's the only issue.

AP: Do you regret taking on "Twilight"?

Pattinson: You can never tell. When I did "Twilight," I had no idea it was going to be so big. I didn't know they were going to make the sequels afterward. ... But I don't really have any regrets about it. It's just, you can't. There's nothing you can do about it.

AP: So no pleasures? Reality TV?

Pattinson: I don't so much anymore. I used to watch things like "American Idol" and stuff because I used to like it. And now, I was back at home in London and I saw "Top of the Pops" they had a Christmas special and five out of the 10 people were reality TV show winners or ex-winners. Now people who want to be musicians think it's not about learning an instrument, it's not about doing anything. ...They should have much better idols."

AP: How do you feel about being an idol?

Pattinson: I don't really know if I am. It's still just the sort of character that people like a lot. I try and avoid promoting myself like that cause otherwise you end up with a huge burden of responsibility.

Source via Pattinsonlife

No comments: