Thursday, July 8, 2010

Great New Interview with Paris Match - Rob talks Edward, his favorite movies and even politcs

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com


PM: In Paris, last November you were really scared by the craziness. How do you feel today Robert Pattinson?
Rob: I feel better. I’m starting to get used to Hollywood. It all seems just as crazy to me, but I have more control over myself. I know I have to watch what I’m going to tell you for exam ple… And I’ll never get used to people who spend their lives following me around or to the people who use my name to make money. But I’ve learned to speak about the movie, my character and my career.

PM: In this third installment your character refuses to sleep with Bella and only thinks about one thing: getting married. It’s an ancient couple concept don’t you think?

Rob: This vision is a bit archaic but I assume it. The way I see it, Edward is obsessed that he isn’t human. He would like to not be a vampire. Therefore he takes advantage of every little detail that can bring him closer to “normality”. What’s better than a marriage to feel like every­one else? In all classic vampire stories, they think of sleeping with their prey and are ready to kill for blood. Edward, is searching for simple love, to not be different anymore. But he knows that’s impossible, that he’s damned to eternal life. This is what also causes this profound sadness in him.

PM: Does Edward represent purity?
Rob: He’s as pure as possible! But a vam pire lives by its instinct, which pushed him each day to find blood to feed and that’s not the purest act in the word. Edward is on a spiritual quest. Love seems to be his religion even though he know he’ll never go to heaven.

PM: Did you speak about your character with Stephenie Meyer, the author of the saga?
Rob: Sometimes. She was present on the set of the third installment without being too involved. As long as we haven’t started shooting a scene, I listen to everything people say on my character. Once the camera starts rolling how ver, only the Director speaks to me. I don’t need to have various opinion all the time, or to hear comments.

PM: Are you impatient to be done with Twilight?
Rob: Not really. A saga such as this one allows me to be on screen often with out boring people. If I did one movie after the other I think people would turn away from me. As Twilight has become an important financial asset, pre production is quite fast. It allows me to do other projects between shoot ing 2 movies. Then, the wait is incredible, fans are impatient to see the next “Twilight” They really don’t care about the “new Robert Pattinson”!

PM: Is Edward more popular than Robert?
Rob: You just have to look at the amount of peo ple who went to see Twi light and the amount of peo ple who went to see Remem ber Me (a film in which he played that came out in April)! It made 70 Mil lion at the box office whereas Twi light made 1 bil lion! But for Remem ber Me it’s really good.

PM: Why did you want to become an actor?
Rob: I enrolled in the ater because my dad pushed me too. He thought it would help me over come my shyness. But it’s mostly when I realized that all these pretty girls went to these course that I became more attentive. Before that I hated theatre.

PM: Were you more interested by cinema?
Rob: I never dreamed of being an actor. It was a chain effect. But I always loved movies. This may seem arrogant but I think I have good taste in terms of Directors and movies in general.

PM: What kind of movies did you love?
Rob: American movies from the end of the 60s and the beginning of the 70s and French movies from “La Nouvelle Vague”. For a long time I was obsessed with Godard’s movies. I would dream of learning French to be able to film with him. “Prénom Carmen” is by far the most beautiful love story I’ve seen in movies. When I filmed the first Twilight I had that movie in my head constantly.


PM: How to you imagine the rest of your career.
Rob: I’m reached a high level of fame at an incredible speed. All the movies by authors, the independent movies that I dream to make will surely suffer from it. But it could also help them. I don’t know yet. If Godard hired a French teen idol to be the star of his movie wouldn’t it turn out to be nothing much? I feel like I have the future in front of me but I also know that I have to make the proper decision to get what I want.

PM: Do you discuss your future with Taylor Lautner and Kristen Stewart?
Rob: We have different ideas on the way we want our careers to evolve. It’s very bizarre. Taylor dreams of doing big block busters, in action movies. Kristen dreams of doing small independent movies that have trouble getting released as for myself I’m a mix of both.


PM: Your sister is in music. Is she jealous of your success?
Rob: No, she’s been writing songs for years, it’s different. My family, my loved ones still live in the UK. They only see from afar this gen­eral craziness, they read it in the press. I don’t think I’ve changed because of the success. My parents came to LA for the first time a few weeks ago. We were con stantly followed by paparazzi. They were a bit over come by everything. But the fact that I’m British helps to not sink into the Hollywood turmoil. Even though you’ll read a lot of things about me I’m actually quite normal. And to be honest I’m seriously thinking of doing music with my sister. It’s a project that should be done before the end of the year.

PM: Did you follow the election in the UK?
Rob: Absolutely! I voted and I think that this coalition can be a plus for this country. Nick Clegg and David Cameron look sincere and honest, full of hope. This duo has to work as well together as Kristen and I do.

Scans | Translation

9 comments:

Gisel said...

me encanta leer las entrevistas de Rob :D

papagáj said...

"Then, the wait is incredible, fans are impatient to see the next “Twilight” They really don’t care about the “new Robert Pattinson”!"

no,no no i disagree at that point
Rob, You talking about Twifans obviously ???couse TRUE fans don't behave like this;)

Maria in CT said...

When was this interview conducted? Because Rob says his parents came to LA for the first time a few weeks ago - but they were here in November 2008 when he did the Ellen show for the first time.

papagaj? You are Hungarian, right? That means parrot in English.

Anonymous said...

"Edward is on a spiritual quest. Love seems to be his religion even though he know he’ll never go to heaven." I never thought of it that way......I like it. :)

papagáj said...

@froggie59


LOL

I'm not debunked, not yet
try harder ;)

Maria in CT said...

Not sure what you mean by that papagaj. I was just making an observation. I am always excited when I find Hungarian fans posting as I am Hungarian. I was born here in the US, but my parents, sister, and husband were born in Hungary.

maria_Cy86 said...

@froggie59 yeah thats what I thought too.They've been on Ellen twice in 2008+9, on 'The view' (backstage) anw

I've never seen this side of Rob be4.A bit serious, logical, straight-forward.I've just returned from watching 'Eclipse' and this grounded me, coz I was with a smile on my face for the past 4 hours

papagáj said...

IKR@froggie59
Forgive me if i confused You :)
I have pretty wicked sense of humor :P
Cheers from Poland but I love Hungarian culture as well as Hungarian people
so nice to meet You:)))

moonriver said...

"this duo has to work as well together as kristen and i do" ???
did he really say that? it seems forced upon him. although i wouldnt put it past him that he said something in similar vain. these just dont seem his words. great interview, though, rob's pretty serious, and theres a great amount of detail, which i like. or maybe i just like taureans ;)

im a devoted robsten shipper and i usually comment on robstenation, but i check in on ur blog regularly, i just havent left comments b4. my compliments to mandy-rob and all the others on this site who work hard 2 bring us the news on rob. kudos to all of u.