Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Vampire Diaries’ Joseph Morgan talks about Rob's fame and career


Joseph is the latest addition to the series playing Klaus and spoke exclusively to omg! about how a franchise such as Twilight would affect the success of its male lead:

"Provided he didn't mess it all up, Robert was guaranteed a fan base thanks to Twilight," Joseph told us.

"His character is iconic and there's a huge following of the books but there's a tremendous amount of pressure that comes with that."

The gravitas of playing a heartthrob is something the 30-year-old actor can relate to as he explained how much passion fans have for the parts he and RPattz play.

"People have their own very distinctive ideas of how a character should be portrayed especially when you're playing a vampire."

But this is something Robert does flawlessly, as Joseph adds it's not just Edward Cullen who turned him into a superstar.

"Having the talent helped, Robert is quite charming and humble in the press during interviews which helps.

"I do worry thought that after Vampire Diaries finishes how many fans will come with me to watch other projects that I do and if it's just the vampire phenomenon that made us [me and Robert] famous. It's harder for Robert though."

Judging by Joseph's looks, we don't think it's just talent or the acting gig he's got that draws the fans in but it's clearly something he worries about.

"It's too early to say if I think I've been typecast, but I've been forced to take on different roles but I'm not going to lie I have done jobs just to pay the rent."

Naturally we had to ask if he'd like to reach the dizzy Hollywood heights that Robert has to which he replied rather diplomatically…

"That guy is more famous than anyone at the moment, of course I'd like to have Robert Pattinson's career but I don't like the whole celebrity aspect of it.

"I'm not interested in having a photo shoot in a magazine it allows people to buy into you too much. I'm not against talking about my personal life but I don't want it to be a soap opera.

"I'm not saying Robert's is, but he can't escape it - like the gossip around who is he dating, I don't want all that."


But that's what we REALLY need to know! Our final question to the actor was if he watched Twilight in preparation for his role in Vampire Diaries…

"I watched the first one but didn't want to play it the same as Robert.

"I thought he was good, there are so many parallels drawn between Twilight and Vampire Diaries that it was better for me not to watch it."


Yahoo UK

6 comments:

JA said...

always hilarious to me...these actors who are SO THANKFUL they are not famous :P

Nicole said...

exactly. what ever you say... what ever your name is.

kvaughn75 said...

Calm down. He's simply acknowledging the downside to fame, especially Rob's, which Rob himself has admitted more than once recently. Rob became an A-list celebrity before he became an A-list actor, there's a difference, and usually it's healthier the other way around. Thus the attention has to be suffocating, and embarrassing for Rob, at times, while liberating at others. Am sure there is resentment in the industry, nothing we can do about that. We all know he doesn't really talk about his relationship with Kristen and thinks it's sacred, isn't a famewhore etc., yet still there is this dichotomy between perception of him by those who are not necessarily his fans and what we know to be true. There is a thing called oversaturation. I suspect this fuels why we don't see much of him outside of promoting a film. Why does everyone take it so personally? I have faith the time will come, if not with Bel Ami then Cosmopolis, when Rob will gain critical favor and be known outside this fandom besides being a sex symbol and nice guy, i.e. his acting talent. Morgan complements him and doesn't mean any disrespect. This blind worship of Rob is really bizarre.

JA said...

i'm in it for his hair

Nicole said...

and the jaw line.

AmyOrapello said...

I fell on this conversation on accident & I must admit I loved every single word from every one of you! Thank You ALL for your honesty, insight & humor! My opinion, not that it matters: I thought Joseph did a wonderful job answering this question. I also think he did it with grace & class. It can not be easy answering a question like this with the fear of crazy fans being upset with him. Being in the spot lite & having every1 hanging on your every word, just waiting for you to stick your foot in your mouth must be difficult. Thank God he & Rob both have class & try to show grace when it comes to answering about other actors. I admire them both & will continue to follow both their careers!