Thursday, November 10, 2011

Scans + Translation: Rob's Interview with GIOIA

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com


PATTINSON & STEWART
We are coming but won’t stop for long.

In a few days will be in cinemas the first part of the Twilight Saga finale. And in the meantime a few things have happened: they got used to the fame, fell in love in real life too and maybe got a bit tired.

ROBERT PATTINSON
DON’T MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A ZOO ANIMAL

“I don’t think I’m cut out for this. For sure I am not to be a star, maybe not even an actor. There are people desiring success from early age and do everything to be famous. If they can, when they get into a room they get full attention. And that moment of satisfaction justifies all the hard work and the compromises done to get there. But I didn’t do that. I just found myself in this situation. If I walk into a room and everyone is staring at me I don’t feel at ease. I feel like an animal zoo sometimes and it’s not such a good feeling.”

Maybe Robert Pattinson should have thought about it before accepting the role of Edward in Twilight, which brought him to be rich and famous, not to mention idol of fan girls all over the world. But he doesn’t seem to be falsely humble. He is everything but a star, spontaneous and smiling as he is, for the way he shows himself for the exclusive Gioia interview: half-shaved head, a shirt that surely has had better times and a pair of pants that can’t even be defined as worn-out. Someone who wants to lie would dress better, I think when I see him.

Don’t you care about the label now that you are famous or you have always been like this?
-I feel stupid wearing jacket and tie and, unless it’s required, I dress casual. I like the idea of being seen as I really am. Also I always looked on too elegant people.

Nice hair-cut.
-It’s for a movie, Cosmopolis. It’s done now but I kept the cut. I like it and find it interesting.

Twilight is over. Are you willing to change your life?
-I don’t know yet. I haven’t been only a vampire these years so it’s not like my career is over.

Didn’t you get bored playing always the same role?
-Let’s say it wasn’t simple because it’s a vampire nature not to be expressive all the time. There are lots of things he can’t do: beside his love- almost obsession- for Bella, he can’t have impulses, urges, feelings. There’s the risk you end up doing always the same things e often, after a scene, I happened to stop and having the feeling I had just repeated the previous scene. But we always tried to privilege the originality.

If you weren’t a main character of the series, would you have been fan of it?
-Probably the answer to this will put me in troubles. The truth is I don’t know. I’ve always been against the commercial sagas. I think I’d like the movies themselves but I can’t understand why people are so crazy about it. And actually I always enjoyed most the poor movies.

At the beginning there was lots of skepticism about you: fans didn’t like you. And now…
-They are not interested in who I am, what I do or how I act. They care about my face. If my face was pretty much as they had imagined reading the book, then it’s fine. Then, after doing the first movie, your face becomes the character and the problem is solved. Thinking about it it’s kind of sad.

Comparing Twilight and Remember Me I have the feeling that the second one – haggard boy, beard, cigarette, glass in a hand- was nearer to you. Am I wrong?
-No. When I read the script I identified with the character straight away. Usually movies with a young character are all the same: there’s a kid knowing nothing about life and learning everything during the movie. In Remember Me you could feel there was something different behind it. I started with the idea of playing myself cause I found his lifestyle and moods similar to mine. Then I changed direction: playing yourself is impossible.

It’s not for John Malkovich.
-I think it is. We can play the person we have created and is perceived by people but we can’t be ourselves on the screen.

What do you mean with “perceived by people”?
-In my case Edward, the vampire. People don’t talk about me, don’t shout at me, don’t rip their hair off for me: they do it for Edward. The come to see him so I try to get away from that name. I run away, get in a car and am another person. They look at you but see only what they want to see.

Did you imagine you’d have all this success?
-No, it was crazy and unexpected. I remember one day, in Munich, at the Olympic Stadium, I was in front of 30.000 people came there for a ten minutes press conference. It was the most ridiculous thing I ever lived. If you start thinking they are there for you and you start convincing yourself to be fabulous, you’ll get crazy for sure.

Don’t you feel fabulous?
-Not at all.

Not even a bit?
-No. If you start feeling like that then every morning, when you stare at yourself in the mirror, you should repeat yourself you are the best person in the world. On the contrary, I often think I have the complete opposite personality required to bear the weight of fame.

So why did you decide to do this job?
-When I started no one watched my movies. And the ones who watched them didn’t even notice me but my work, the role I was playing. I acted not even thinking about the career or the effect. Today lots of people think to know me even if they never met me in their heads they know what to expect according to what they assume to know about me.

So what’s your survival strategy then?
-The best thing an actor can do is to live in the most absolute reserve. Which is impossible considering I have to be interviewed by people like you to promote a movie. Then, when magazines can’t find anything good, they make it up.

You don’t seem to be at your ease with it.
-Every time I’m in a crowd I take my mind off and think: this is not me. My body is here but my mind is somewhere else. And I always try to remember it’s a job, it’s not my life, even if keeping the control is hard.

Speaking of jobs, David Cronenberg came to you for his latest movie.
-Right when I was thinking I’d never work with great directors anymore. Often fame doesn’t help getting roles in good quality movies. But yes: Cronenberg came to me. I told him I’d take a week to decide and I was actually finding a way to tell him that I was not right for that, that I didn’t get the script and I wouldn’t accept it. The only way would have been to call him and say: hey I’m a nerd/loser. Then I thought I didn’t want to be that so I said yes.

Is it true you got a dog during the shootings?
-Yes, I found it nearby the set and I kept him.

Such a sweet thing coming from a vampire.
-Right. Maybe I was looking for a friend who couldn’t talk.


Scans and Translation + Kristen's interview | Via

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob, you are not just a pretty face. You are a great actor! I am a fan, but through these interviews I am getting to know you as Rob. Trust me. I am an older fan. I really do care. I love all the Twilight movies. It was spaecial to me because of the unique and different and beautiful storyline! I am a huge fan of you. As Rob. You were perfect as Edward. I wish you really liked The Saga! You were so great in it. It really meant a lot to me that you potrayed Edward. Your acting is amazing and excellent! I do see you as a human being, not just an actor. I saw Remember Me and I totally loved it! You were great in the movie I loved Tyler! It broke my heart when the character died on 9/11.I cried for like, 20mins. I also loved you in WFE. You potrayed Jacob so perfectly, it touched me. Such a kind and caring and loving character. Can't wait to see your other movies! Just wish you would be a saga fan, even after potraying Edward so perfectly. Just got my ipod a few months ago. I'm reading hateful comments, trying to be strong, but it's hard. I am an avid movie goer, Twilight Saga is one of the best movies I have ever seen! I am not trying to be fanatical! Just loving. Maybe I don't know you personally, but from what I've seen and heard you are a sweet, down to earth and kind person. You have a great sense of humor! I love all that! Know, I am a big fan of yours! Always will be! Hope you googled yourself today!! Before I had an ipod, I was obvilious to all this! But I love my ipod, so many fun things to do on it! Lol! Hope you would read this, I know about the paparazzi and screaming you go through! I hoped you get a little more used to it! You do deserve more privacy. I know you are a human being. God bless tou you.

meleny said...

Wow! It's so good to me to know him more with these interviews, I think he's a good actor and he really it's going to belive it after a few years behind twilight.. and for me he's more than Edward, I scream for Robert Pattison not Edward, I love the actor that can make me feel diferent emotions with diferents caracters, and Rob you Do that! I love all your movies!